Tuesday, February 17, 2009

You've Gotta Have Friends

About a month ago I started thinking that I would like to have a luncheon to honor the women whom I consider my dearest friends. ( Of course I forgot to take pics, I still have trouble remembering to take blog worthy pics, sorry!) And last Thursday on my birthday I did just that!! 9 fantastic women were able to attend, illness, and work kept several others away, hopefully next year ladies! Although I had told no one it was my birthday, some friends still remembered and presented me with lovely gifts, so sweet! Because she knows how much I want an island vacation at some point in my life, my great friend Connie got me an amazing smelling candle by Yankee called Dune Grass

And an island sounding CD by Kenny Chesney, if you havent heard it I strongly recommend it!
By lighting the candle and listening to this CD I can pretend that I am here... Thanks Connie!

After all the ladies arrived we sat down to lunch, I had made my potato soup and a version of Max and Erma's Tortilla soup, everyone loved it and wants the recipe, and a nice big salad and yummy bread!
Max and Erma's Tortilla Soup Recipe

2 cups of chicken breast shredded
1 can cr of mushroom soup
1 can cr of chicken soup
2 cans cheddar cheese soup
1 can chix brooth
1 15 oz can Rotelle tomatoes and chilis
1/2 cup salsa
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 t chili powder, i used a little more!
1 T butter
salt and pepper to taste

Saute onion and garlic in the butter
Add the soups
Add the remainder of ingredients
Simmer on low to med for 1 hour, watch for sticking... Enjoy!

For dessert I made banana nut muffins, thank you Jenn, and homemade blueberry muffins, they were to die for, along with Thumbprint cookies, and chocolate dipped strawberries.
My plan was to hand out a specially burned CD to each of them, to serve as a reminder of the day, but I still havent received that in the mail from Nikki, my independent daughter living in SLC. But she has promised it is in the mail now and so when I get it my son will help me burn a dozen and I will hand them out as a late thank you gift to everyone! Better late than never! All the songs are about friendship!
The afternoon ended with everyone having a wonderful time and thanking me so much for including them, I of course thanked each of them for being such a terrific friend, because You've gotta have friends, where would a body be without them??

Here are some of the fantastic woman whom I am blessed to call friend!





9 comments:

Jenn said...

You are very blessed to have such close friends. It looks like a wonderful time you all had!

nikkicrumpet said...

Very cool that you have so many good friends close by. My best friend lives in Houston TX so I never get to see her....it's been over 10 years since we last got together!

Bo said...

What a great get together you had with your gal pals...the tortilla soup recipe is different from the ones I've had before...sounds even better actually, so I think I'll try it soon. Happy belated birthday! ;-) Bo

Janene said...

You do have a wonderful group of friends!
I must have lost my invite in the mail! LOL LOL
It sounds like all had a wonderful time...Did I wish you a happy birthday?
If I forgot, I am so sorry and now I will wish you a Happy Belated Birthday!
How is the leg?

mbkatc230 said...

Looks like you had a great time. How fun that you have such close friends that are close by! And that candle, one of my favorite Yankee Candle scents. Thanks for sharing, Kathy

Stellar Creations said...

That is soo sweet. I need to do something like that and get out of my "living in the country" funk. LOL.. arent' friends great? I love that candle and mmhmm.. you can never go wrong with Kenny.. now... to be sitting on that beach with George Strait.. yowza..

linda said...

Sounds like a wonderful get together...you are truly blessed to have such close friends.

Yankee candles are the best!

Thank you for the recipe. I'll give it a try!

Stellar Creations said...

I did copy the tortilla soup recipe. I'm planning that for dinner tonight.. I LOVE that soup.. I go there when I need something warming and yummy. Care to share the potato soup recipe? Hmm? LOL.. that is my all time favorite soup and I've never made it. I wish I could take you GW hunting with me.. maybe that's something we should do.. have a retreat to go GWing... I'd be game. Have a great day!!

Hugs,
Stella

miss mary said...

hi there. stopping in to take a look around. I love the pics. you are blessed to have such good friends. Have a good day.