Monday, March 23, 2009

Need a great Easter Brunch Recipe, Poppy Seed Bread, yum


Years ago a good friend of mine was a demonstrator for The Pampered Chef Company. I went to my first Pampered Chef party and she made this yummy bread in the bread crock, it was her sister's recipe. Well, the bread was a huge hit and she sold alot of the crocks. In the years since I have made this recipe dozens of times and have passed it on to many people. It is very simple to make, it is just a dump recipe and the taste is out of this world. I think the secret is the yummy glaze made with orange juice, sugar, and almond extract, yumm! I make them up in small loaves to give as gifts at Christmas and Easter or for no specific reason at all! I decided to share this cake, I mean bread recipe, (but it really does taste more like a cake), with all of you so that you can make it up to take to an Easter brunch, to give away to friends, or just to show your family you really havent been blogging all day, again, lol.
The Best Poppy Seed Bread Recipe
In a large bowl combine:
3 cups flour
2 ¼ C sugar
1 ½ C milk
1 1/8 C veg. oil
3 eggs
1 ½ T poppy seeds
1 ½ t salt
1 ½ t baking powder
1 ½ t vanilla
1 ½ t almond extract
1 ½ t butter flavoring

Mix 1 to 2 minutes only
Spray your bread pan with Pam and fill ¾ full
Bake @ 350 for about 1 hour. The top should be golden brown and slightly split
I also make them in mini bread pans, and of course the cooking time is shortened, so watch them!
Glaze: Mix in a small bowl and pour over bread, on a plate, and then I take the loaves and dip the sides in the excess, YUMMY!
¾ cup sugar
¼ cup orange juice
½ t vanilla
½ t butter flavoring
½ t almond extract


Enjoy, and let me know if you do make it, what you think of it, I know you'll love it! Sue

15 comments:

Julie said...

YUM!!!! That sounds so good!! Thanks for sharing. Julie

marty39 said...

Oh, I have copied this down and I will definitely make it. It just sounds so good. Hugs, Marty

Taryn said...

I book marked this- I would love to make this someday. If i do- I am sure you will hear about it! = )

Holly Hills Primitives said...

Thank you for following my blog! Can't wait to make this bread. I love it and I've never had a good recipe for it. How nice of you to share. Dawn

Bo said...

Oh this does sound good...I love poppy seed salad dressing so I'm sure I'd love this...sounds easy too! Thanks! ;-) Bo

This simple Life said...

Thanks for visiting me.
I love your sense of humor. The foot thing was too funny. Hope you are healing well.

Rue said...

Hi Sue :)

That looks soooo good! Dangerous too ;)

I'm so glad to hear your surgery went well. Thank God!

hugs,
rue

becca said...

YUM! I used to make one similar to this but haven't in ages b/c it wasn't not a quick recipe. Had to zest two lemons (which you used to make a glaze like yours, but did not use orange juice) and I hated zesting those lemons! One time my husband did it for me. He was SO PROUD of himself b/c he got SO MUCH 'zest' off the lemons. HA Yeah, he got all the yellow and the white too!
thanks for stopping by. Hope to see you again!

Picket said...

Ohhhh I love little quick loaf cakes to give as gifts...I will be trying this one for sure..would you believe I have never in my life made anything with poppy seeds! lol Congrats on winning that beautiful rooster girl..I have a set of white ones my mom gave me...love them! Thanks for coming by and thanks for sharing the recipe! Have a great week!

Barb @ GritsandGlamour said...

Oh I love this recipe. I love me a good ole' dump recipe...can't be beat. I have copied an dpasted this to my files. The pic has my mouth watering. Thanks so much for sharing. Blessings, Barb

Carmen said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, I love meeting new people:) That bread looks awesome, my hubby can't have seeds due to diverticular disease but I may have to try this anyway and just hide it from him, LOL! Have a great day!

Happy To Be said...

Oh girl I just love poppy seeds and this sounds just YUMMY...I will try this for sure..thanks hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Kristi said...

So glad you found my blog! Yours is great, too...can't wait to try the bread/cake. Yum!

I made banana bread the other night and Joe asked me to add some chocolate chips to the mix...the best idea! It was a perfect treat.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Sue, this recipe looks fabulous! I think I might try it. Some of my baking attempts turn out looking like a failed chemistry experiment, but this looks really, really good!

Thank you for sharing...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Melissa Miller said...

It sounds so delicious. Thank you! :)