Friday, March 27, 2009

Do Your Family a Favor, host a foreign exchange student.

Several years ago we had the extreme privilege of becoming a Host Family for a foreign exchange student, Chen Chien Ming, or Sam as we called him. He was supposed to only be with us for 1 month, but things changed. Him and about 25 other students cam to the midwest to acclimate themselves to our American culture before heading out to a new home for the school year. Long story short, we fell in love with him and him with us and he ended up being here for 10+ months.
Sam is from Taipei Taiwan. He is the youngest of 3 children, having two older sisters who attended college in the United States. His family owns an iron business and had sent him here to learn the language so he could go back to Taiwan and become successful in the business world.
Sam knew very little english when he arrived, but slowly learned our complicated language. During that first month when kids from all over the world were all living in our small town acclimating to our way of doing things, we were fortunate enough to host several impromptu dinners. Our kitchen table was like the United Nations, Gau from Thailand, Luic from France, Michael from Germany, Uki, Hitomi, and several other girls from Japan and China. We had the best time, they all LOVED eating food from all over the world, Italian, Mexican, and of course American. Most of them told me that in their homes, their mothers only cooked food from their countries, which I found interesting.
Like I said Sam and several other kids ended up staying locally for the entire school year. It was an amazing experience for our entire family. I honestly believe that if everyone got to experience this the world would be a much happier and more peaceful place to live.
Sam taught us patience, a new found love of Chinese food, and a love that will last forever. We taught him how to show your feelings, and say I love you. His mom didn't cry or hug him when he left for what started out to be a year, and after deciding to attend college in Canada, ended up to be about 6 years. He said he knew his parents loved him, but they had never said it before, amazing! He now says I love you everytime I talk to him! We also taught him how to leave the books on occasion and just have FUN!
Sam has not lived here for over 5 years now, but when given the choice of going anywhere in the world on vacation has come back to see us twice! We talk via email and IM often. He graduated from college and is nowing living back in Taiwan, doing his mandatory 1 year in the armed forces, he is a proud Marine. We are proud of him and are considering his father's generous offer of having us visit them, maybe for his wedding someday!
If you and your family have the opportunity to be a host family, do not hesitate, what it costs your family will be paid back in triplicate!
I didn't give birth to him, but he is my son non the less!



Here is a pic of my three children, PS, Sam in the one on the right!

20 comments:

marty39 said...

Oh I so agree with you. We have been a host family several times for a short period. Sometimes only a week or two, most of the time just a month or two, but what a blessing it was and we immediately fell in love with all of them. We've had college students from Germany, France, Sweden and Russia. We did have one from Canada for over a year, but that seemed like she was American to us. We loved her and still do. It really is a truly blessed experience. Hugs, Marty

Fragrant Liar said...

Sounds like a fascinating project, and maybe one of these days, I'll give it a try. That's a wonderful thing you did.

Bo said...

How kind & generous of you to share your home...Sam looks like a fine young man...and your son & daughter are beautiful! ;-) Bo

Anonymous said...

Oh agree with you. We have been a host family also. We had two wonderful girl from France. They enjoyed it here so much that they came back to visit us last summer for a month. We keep in contact with them by e-mail. There families have offered us there homes any time we want to visit France. We fell in love with these two girls.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

How neat! Glad you got to do this and that he was blessed enough to be able to stay with someone as special as you and your family! :-)

XO,

Sheila

The Reality of Happily Ever After said...

You are totally inspiring! Just reading your "About Me" made me smile! What a fantastic thing, hosting a Foreign Exchange Student...

Thought you might like to know I'm doing a HUGE Giveaway! A Free Blog Makeover!

Janene said...

I love this post!
ALL of your children look so happy...I can tell they are very close!
Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

Technology truly is an inescapable aspect of our daily lives, and I think it is safe to say that we have passed the point of no return in our relationship with technology.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Societal concerns aside... I just hope that as technology further advances, the possibility of transferring our brains onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's a fantasy that I daydream about all the time.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://kwstar88.livejournal.com/491.html]R4[/url] DS HomeBrow)

Anonymous said...

This is the right ωebpage fοr anyboԁy
ωho hopes to unԁeгstand thiѕ topіc.
Yοu understand a whole lоt іts almost hard to аrgue wіth you (not that I аctually will need to…HаНa).
Yοu сertainly put а new sρin on а topic that has been disсuѕseԁ foг decadeѕ.
Excellent ѕtuff, just wonderful!

Rеνiew my ѕite www.zulutrade.com
Also see my web page: zulutrade broker

Anonymous said...

Heу thеrе! I just wаnted to аѕk if
you evеr have any troublе with hackeгs?

Мy lаst blog (worԁpгesѕ) was haсked anԁ I еnԁed uρ losing а few
monthѕ of hard ωoгk ԁue to no bасk
up. Do yоu haνe any methods to protесt аgainst hackers?


Heгe is my wеb page; cheesecake calories
My web site creative baby shower decorating ideas

Anonymous said...

Wow, this paгagraph is faѕtidious, my ѕister iѕ anаlyzing these things,
so Ӏ am going to tell her.

My website - location de voiture entre particulier pas cher
My webpage : louer vehicule entre particulier dans l'oise

Anonymous said...

Sweet blog! I found it while searching on Yahoo News.
Do you have any tips on how to get listed in Yahoo News? I've been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Thanks

my page - getting more pinterest followers
Feel free to surf my web site increase twitter followers free

Anonymous said...

Wow, amazing blog layout! How long have you been blogging for?
you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your site is excellent, as well as
the content!

My web site dsr

Anonymous said...

Useful information. Fortunate me I found your site by chance, and I'm stunned why this twist of fate didn't happened in advance!
I bookmarked it.

My site - batir.tv

Anonymous said...

Yesterday, while I was at work, my cousin stole my iPad and tested to see if it can survive a 25
foot drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation.

My iPad is now destroyed and she has 83 views.
I know this is entirely off topic but I had to share it with
someone!

Take a look at my page zulutrade

Anonymous said...

whoah this weblog is wonderful i really like studying your
posts. Stay up the good work! You realize, many people are searching round for this information, you could aid them greatly.


Feel free to visit my web page get followers

Anonymous said...

Touche. Outstanding arguments. Keep up the amazing effort.


Review my weblog - your-task.com

Anonymous said...

It's hard to come by knowledgeable people about this subject, however, you sound like you know what you're talking about!
Thanks

My web page: get followers

Anonymous said...

Hi, this weekend is fastidious in favor of me, as this point
in time i am reading this fantastic informative post here at my residence.



Also visit my webpage - get followers

Anonymous said...

you are actually a good webmaster. The site loading speed is
incredible. It seems that you're doing any distinctive trick. Also, The contents are masterpiece. you've done a magnificent job on this subject!


Feel free to visit my page need more followers on twitter