Thursday, April 23, 2009

Do you have a minute or two??


The word of the day is Volunteering, because it is Volunteer Week!! Something that is very near and dear to my heart! Now I know so many people are really busy with their own life these days. Shuffeling kids, elderly parents, and performing other household chores. But i want to tell you if you have an hour or two a month or better yet a week, to spare, volunteering is something you may want to consider. The way it makes you feel is something i cant describe. There are so many things you can do to help those less fortunate. Be creative and think outside the box. You can become a volunteer at your local food pantry, I do this and really love it! There are so many jobs for a volunteer to do at a pantry. Clothes sorter, food orderer, shelf stocker, shopper, donator, building maintenence person, and many many more! My jobs at the pantry include, ordering food from the Cincinnati Free store food bank weekly, working a shift helping our clients shop for their groceries, I also love to plan fun activities for our clients like, a pampering day for the moms, this includes free hair cuts, if you are a stylist this is another volunteering opportunity, manicures, chair massages, a luncheon, the woman LOVE this special day and the volunteers love it almost as much! We also host a back to school picnic, where we pass out back packs, school supplies, and shoes for our youngest clients. Another "job" is to help plan fund raisers.




Speaking of fund raisers, a couple great ideas include a having a chocolate fest. What is a chocolate fest you may ask??? WEll..... let me tell you, it is a ladies night out where woman buy a ticket which gives them the right to sample all things chocolate for the entire evening, let me tell you, this has become the hottest ticket in our little country town. This year the event netted $8,250, all of which was donated to our pantry!


In September we host another ladies night out in the form of a Bunco tourney, never heard of Bunco?? Well, it is a super simple dice game that requires no former knowledge of the game to play, it is a bunch of fun, and did I mention the food, no? well, lots of yummy food is available for in between the rounds! And another great fund raiser!

Another great volunteer job is to become a grant writer for a nonprofit, the main qualification for this job it to be good with words and know your way around a computer, hmmm, seems to me I know a few people like that, lol!
Becoming a "Big Sister" to a child is a wonderfully rewarding way to give back. I became a big sister in the Big Brother/Big Sister program this year, I am a lunch buddy, so once a week I go to the local elementary school and spend an hour with my "little". These are kids at risk of not completing their education, I really am enjoying this.
I want everyone to consider a way to use their God given talents and find a way to give back. I would love to hear of any volunteer work that you are doing. You know it doesnt even have to be an on going position, the day before Easter my friends and I delivered 20 Easter dinners and bags of candy to families who would have had nothing to celebrate that special day. The people were so very appreciative and it was just a couple hours of our time! So do yourself and your community a favor and volunteer your time, it will be the best decision you have made in a while, I promise!
So, Happy Volunteer Week, thanks so much for stopping by, and on a side note, I am feeling so much better and am starting to get out and about alot more. Thank you all so very much for your comments and emails!

4 comments:

Rue said...

You're doing a wonderful thing Sue :)

I keep hearing about Bunco, it must be the new corn hole LOL

xo,
rue

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I love Bunco and chocolate both! Sounds great to me. And like you, Sue, I'm a community volunteer. I'm taking two elderly ladies to a concert on Sunday in honor of the people who are helped by a senior citizens agency. They are always so excited to go out for this event. I feel selfish in watching their joy!

XO,

Sheila

nikkicrumpet said...

What a wonderful post. You should not only be proud of the wonderful things you do yourself...but I think this post will help inspire others to do something to! I get the chance to occasionally help with "Habitat for Humanity" and you're right...it is a feeling you can't even begin to describe!

Robin said...

Sue, you are such a beautiful person, inside and out!

You have made me want to find more opportunities in my community!

THANK YOU!

{{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Robin :o)

Ps...the cake looks INCREDIBLE!