Monday, April 13, 2009

So.................

So...... it has been an interesting few days. As some of you know, I was in a car accident due to ice back on January 28. After a trip to the emergency room i was told I was fine and to just go home. Well I hobbled around for weeks before going back to a doctor. Finally a CT scan showed that I had 2 breaks and a torn ligament and i needed surgery. I had the surgery on March 12 and thought i was on the road to recovery. Well last weekend I was in Lexington with a friend working the Home and Garden show there. We worked Thursday night April 2 and everything was fine. I woke up on Friday knowing something just wasnt right, I had major pain in the back of my leg. We didn't have to be at the home show until 5 and had planned on shopping all day, TJ MAxx, Home Goods, Marshalls, oh yeah, we were hitting them all, instead we spent the entire day in the ER at the University of Kentucky's hospital. If you ever have to go to the hospital and you are in Lexington, run away far away from this old, dirty hospital. NExt year there will be a new hospital in this old dirty hospitals place but oh my it was not nice there. My dear friend Beth is a germaphobe, not as bad as Howie Mandell , but being in this hospital was not easy for her and I told her to leave me and go out and shop like we had planned, but God love her, she said she wouldn't leave me there, and she didn't.
After giving them my blood and having to endure an ultra sound of my leg, I was told I had a blood Clot, a big blood clot the entire length of my leg. YIKES! Blood clots run big time in my family and like my brother said when i told him, "welcome to the club". Definitely not a club I ever hoped to join, but here I am. The ER doctor agreed to let me stay out of the hospital if I promised to check in with my family doctor first thing Monday morning, and if my dear friend Beth would be willing to give me my blood thinner medicine by injections in my stomach, yes, my stomach, which she did, again God love here, that is definitely more then she signed on to do! I called my doctor first thing Monday morning, a doctor I had had for over 10 years, only to find that she was booked all day and her nurse told me to go to the er to have them check my blood. I asked what hospital I should go to in case they needed to keep me and was told, " go to any hospital, Dr B. doesn't have hospital privileges ANYWHERE! Has anyone ever heard of a doctor that didn't have hospital privileges???? I hadn't. Long story short I went to our local Hospital and was ADMITTED, I was not a happy girl. After more blood tests, another very painful ultra sound, No sleep, and finally in the morning I was told by my very nice possible new doctor that there was really no reason I was admitted and it was possible that my insurance company might not pay for my stay. Well, I told my nice possible new doctor that if they didnt pay,then guess what, I wouldnt be paying either. He then told me that he apologized to me from the medical community he was sorry for my series of unfortunate events that I have endured for the past 3 months. I now have to go to an anticoagulation clinic for the next 6 months, FUN! They will monitor my blood.
My advice to everyone is, if you have to go to a doctor or a hospital, ask questions, question everything, so many times things are done just because "that is the way they are always done", you can say NO and I did several times, and often had the nurses say, good for you, there was no reason they needed that anyway. Don't feel bad to ask questions, just do it! God Bless and thanks for stopping by!

14 comments:

Robin said...

I am so sorry that you had to go through all this!! Even though I am in the medical field, I see stuff like this every single day, and it makes me just SICK!
I pray that things go smoothly for you from now on and you are back to your "normal" self very soon!!

{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Robin :o)

mbkatc230 said...

Oh I am so sorry that you had this "series of unfortunate events". We learned this lesson when we first got married, DH's Dr. found a minor arrythmia, off to the cardiologist we went, as they started a series of very expensive tests the Dr. asked what insurance we had, DH told him we had none and suddenly the tests weren't necessary! Hope that all goes well for you from this point on! Hugs, Kathy

Linda / Behind My Red Door said...

Oh my word - I am so sorry you have had so much trouble with all this stuff. I guess the first question to ask is where your Dr. has priveleges huh? I am so blessed to live 10 minutes from a world renwoned trauma center and hospital. I have heard so many stories like yours that it is one of the reasons I will never leave the area.

I hope that the pain and clot resolve quickly and that you have no further trauma from it.

hugs, Linda

Janene said...

I am glad that you are home!
What an ordeal you have had! My thoughts are with you on a daily basis...Take care of yourself friend!

Picket said...

Oh my word girl....that is awful! I do hope you get things taken care of once and for all...I have alwasy thought the doctors and hospitals do alot of unnecessary things..but blood clots scare me...daddy had one travel up his leg and it was so painful...take care girl and keep asking those questions!

Julie said...

What a mess!! I am going through my own set of tests, etc. right now--it is driving me crazy because no one knows what is wrong. It is frustrating when you go to someone you can think you can trust, and then you can't--I wish you the best. julie

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Oh, what a horror you've been through! I'm so sorry about all of this, and I hope you are doing much better soon. Your friend is a trooper if she's a germaphobe and did all of that. I am, too, and I hate the ER (does'nt matter which one) worse than anything. I went to one out of state with my husband when he had kidney stones, and I honestly felt like I needed a bath in flea dip afterwards. LOL! It was BAD.

Here's hoping your leg gets all better very soon.

XO,

Sheila :-)

Picket said...

Hey girl...hope you have had a great weekend...I am just so happy to finally have found something I love..I would order something and when it would arrive it would not be the color it showed or the quality and I'd almost cry...I just kept having to take things back! But this I do love...I am hoping the other pillows get here by Wednesday! Now if I could find the perfect nightstands! lol

Angie said...

I'm sorry to hear about your health issues. I hope you're feeling a lot better soon.

Michelle said...

I'm so sorry, I wish you good health and a speedy recovery.

Thanks for stopping by my blog, I live in Eastern KY about 3 hours from Cincinnati.

Feel Better
Michelle

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Fantastic post...and one I needed to read. Yes, I do know that today we pretty much take care of ourselves. What a mess and I'm sorry you had to go through that. Seems like when it rains it pours as the old saying goes. I think...and I don't want to upset anyone..but I think we are on our own out here. I had a recent bad experience also. No more! I question authority!!
and by the way... :) it's so nice to meet you and thank you for your sweet visit to my blog. I hope we become friends!
Hugs and smiles...
Mona

Picket said...

You little doodlehead!!!! Your 3:30 AM was my 5:30 AM!!!! lol How are you girl....I do hope you are feeling better and healing...thanks for coming by..take care!

Rue said...

Oh Sue! I'm so sorry about all you've been going through. I'm frightened of a doctor that doesn't have hospital privileges, so I'd run far away from her too!

rue

nikkicrumpet said...

UGH I'm so sorry for all the troubles you've been going through. What a big mess! And you're right...we need to learn to start questioning our doctors and hospitals. So much of what they do is unneccesary and just serves to drive up our insurance bills. I hope you start feeling better really soon!