Saturday, May 2, 2009

Sunday Favorites, Week 2


Thanks to Chari @ Happy To Design for hosting this special Sunday event. This is our chance to see an older post that we may have missed or one that we would like to see again. Be sure to visit her blog to see everyone that is participating. There have been some incredible posts and you really don't want to miss any of them.
**Update**This is a little post I made back on January 18. Since that time our friend came thru his heart surgery with flying colors and we have booked a beautiful home in Sedona, for August, I know it will be hot hot hot, but we have a pool,lol! And this is the view from our side yard, pretty nice huh?? LOL




Also, our daughter Nikki was only gone a month back then, it has been almost 5 months, she made it safely thru another ski season in SLC and she is now working for the summer at a restaurant.
OK now here is the original post, hope you like it!!!

Well I have to say I am quickly, much more quickly than I thought was possible, getting used to being an empty nester. All the things I feared are not coming to pass. I was so afraid that my husband and I would have nothing to talk about, and surprise, we do! I was afraid we would argue, but I have come to realize that what we argued the most about in the past was the kids. Me always trying to stick up for them, when I thought he was being too demanding of them. But now that they are on their own, that is not an issue.
We are having fun doing things together. On Friday night we went to see MArley and Me and out to dinner with friends of ours. We had a great time. I just wish someone, besides the waiter right before we went into the movie, had warned us that it was a definite tear jerker. I can see why it has been the #1 movie, it was just a sweet movie. But my oh my the 4 of us blubbered like there was no tomorrow.

href="http://snarkerati.com/movie-news/files/2008/01/006082994x.jpg">



Then on Saturday we went out to dinner with 2 other couples and then back to the one couples house for dessert. After dinner we got online and planned our first big group vacation. We have gone to my parents lake house in Tennessee for long weekends before, but this year we decided that we were going to take a "real" vacation together. Because one of the guys has to have heart surgery this week, he is hesitant to go out of the country this summer, not knowing how good hospitals are on some of these islands. So after much talk, and online research, we have decided on Sedona Arizona. Isn't it beautiful?? Have any of you ever been there? If so, please tell me about it!





a href="http://www.hoax-slayer.com/images/skywalk-grand-canyon.jpg">




We are close to Pheonix, the Grand Canyon, and only 4 hours from Vegas. I am not a gambler, at all, but have always wanted to go there once. It is a destination on several of our bucket lists.




<


So we found some beautiful homes that we are inquiring about to rent, and checking on airfare. Of course we live 15minutes from Greater Cincinnati Airport, which has the distinction of being the most expensive airport in the USA, so we are also considering departing from other local airports. I am excited, it is so fun to plan vacations, even if they are 6 months away. The planning is almost as much fun as the vacation itself!!


Well I guess I better get off here, my hubby just went up to bed, it is getting late, kinda, and there is another advantage to being empty nesters....ooh la la, no sillies...I dont have to share the remote with the kids after dad goes to bed LOL! Night, thanks for stopping by!!!

Now go check out all the other Sunday favorites at Happy To Design

15 comments:

OCDesigner ~Athella said...

Hi, I was reading your post and location. I live in St. George!
I've been to Sedona only once and visited slick rock with our kids.
It was a short visit on our way to Pheonix...Yeah Sedona looks like a great place to settle. ~Athella

OCDesigner ~Athella said...

Oh!! From Cincinatti to AZ in August? Oh! Oh!
I'm sure the heat will be like nothing you have ever experienced before. Pack your moisturizer, spray bottle and plan on poolside in late evenings. It is beautiful there. That one photo of the terrace over the canyon....Not ever gonna go there! LOL

Lori E said...

I am so looking forward to being an empty nester. Love my two boys dearly but with one down and one to go I can almost taste it. Plus when the husband is at the cabin I will really have an empty nest full of loud 60's music, blogging, painting, reading, eating popcorn for dinner. ah yes I can almost taste it.

Chari said...

Hello Sue...

I'm so glad that you joined in this week's fun with "Sunday Favorites"!!! You chose a fabulous post to share once again with us! Ohhh myyy...those photos of Sedona are magnificent and your vacation home looks soooo nice...lots of fun!!! I just think that the Grand Canyon and really so much of Arizona is so beautiful! Loved that photo of the skywalk at the Grand Canyon...that would be just breathtaking to walk out onto that thing and be able to see for miles! WOW!!!

Well I know that your vacation time is getting closer and closer! Ya'll are going to have a blast!!! Thank you for sharing this post with all of us...the photos are spectacular!!!

Have a super Sunday!
Warmest wishes,
Chari

Kim @ Manning Family Tree said...

Sedona is beautiful!!!! We stayed in Cave Creek Arizona last August but went to Sedona for a day. Plus we have stayed in Sedona before. It is hot, hot, hot in August. But it is a dry heat. I can handle dry heat better than humid heat. I thought the humidity in Texas & Florida was worse than the heat in Arizona (but I live in southern California). There are a lot of afternoon & evening thunder storms that time of year in Arizona, so that cools it off a little. The Grand Canyon is a lot cooler than Sedona. You should take the Grand Canyon Railroad that goes from Williams, AZ to the Grand Canyon & back. It is quite fun & worth the money. The scenery is great too. Also be sure to see Montezuma's Castle. It's not that far from Sedona. It is an old Indian Cliff dwelling. The walkway at the Grand Canyon is actually about 75 miles away from the the national park. It is on the indian reservation & costs a lot of money, so I've never been to that. Sedona & the Grand Canyon are two of the most beautiful places you will ever see. Have fun!

susan said...

I smiled- I wondered those same things as our nest began to empty. I hear there are some great spas in Sedona! I'm happy your friend came thru the heart surgery well and that you can all take this great trip together!

Cynthia said...

My brother lives in Flagstaff and my son lives in Tempe, so we visit often. We have been to Sedona many times and it is amazing. You will love it and even with the heat, just be cautious. We were in Las Vegas in July with 2- 13 year old's and the temps were around 113 every day. Now that is a trip I won't forget! LOL, Cindy

Linda / Behind My Red Door said...

Last April we went to Las vegas as our son was married in the Vally of Fire in the desert. I recommend going to the free or inexpensive attractions in the bigger hotels - aquariums, zoos and the likes! So much cheaper than the shows and gambling yet you still get a glimpse of the glitz and glamour. The Venetian is a must! Ride the gondola's and have a gelato. The fountains outside of the Mirage are free. So many neat things that have nothing to do with gambling!!
Google hotel attractions and you will find a zillion things! You have a lot of time to plan.
I hope you have a wonderful trip!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

This looks like such a fun vacation! So glad all is working out for you to go and that your friend came through his surgery.

XO,

Sheila :-)

Cynthia said...

Hi Sue,
Thanks for the nice comments on the wood floors. One thing I wouldn't miss is a trip to Walnut Canyon National Monument, AZ. It's about 30 some miles from Sedona and so worth the trip. Also, my mom loves Jerome(close by) to Sedona and The Petrified Forest and the Painted Desert near Holbrook maybe 2 hour drive. If I think of anything else, i will let you know. The drive to Flagstaff is outstanding too. Cindy

Terry & Dennis Macri said...

We are also an empty nester.,,, and loving it.

Hope you enjoy or enjoyed your vacation.

Chandy said...

Never been to Sedona, AZ but we lived in Gilbert and Mesa, AZ for about 6 1/2 years.

It looks great!

Bellamere Cottage said...

Wow! What beautiful scenery. Thank you so much for sharing.

Blessings,
Spencer

nikkicrumpet said...

LOL but it's a DRY HEAT! And I'd take an Arizona summer to a North East winter any day of the week! And it's helps that it's such a beautiful area!

Tracey said...

Pictures are beautiful - what a lovely place to visit (or live!)