Sunday, September 20, 2009

Fall Is Almost Officially Here And Do I Have A Recipe For You!

September is 2/3 over already, does anyone else find that almost impossible to believe? Fall is definitely showing it's color around our parts, southern Indiana, close to Cincy. I walk our little fur babies every day and see the changes daily. The crisp air, the changing leaves, I love it! How can anyone not like Fall?
We had our Charity Bunco Night on Friday and it was a big success! We cleared $1,000 but more importantly the ladies had a BLAST! I think we will for sure do it next year, and hope for more women to attend.
I had to go to work on Saturday, just for a couple of hours. A husband and wife came down from Indy and loved our product and ordered quite a bit for their new home, so it was definitely worth going in for. Right next door to my work was a church hosting a large yard sale. I just had to stop, what kind of blogger would I be if I didnt?? I found an adorable soup tureen, brand new, in box, that matches a set of dishes I have, and it was only $4, I was thrilled! I also found 2 old ball jars with silver lids, the jars have a grid pattern on them, and I just fell in love, I have already filled one with salt, getting ready for all the baking I will soon be doing! Speaking of baking, I used a Martha Stewart recipe that I discovered last year. Last year I made it in cookie form, but this year I made it into mini muffins, and they are amazing! People, my family gobble them up as soon as they are iced. The recipe is called Pumpkin Cookies with Brown Butter Icing, and they are too die!!
Ingredients
Makes about 6 dozen
FOR THE COOKIES
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 1/4 cups packed light-brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups canned solid-pack pumpkin (14 ounces)
3/4 cup evaporated milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
FOR THE ICING
4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon evaporated milk,
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Directions
Make cookies: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg in a medium bowl; set aside.
Put butter and brown sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Mix in eggs. Reduce speed to low. Add pumpkin, evaporated milk, and vanilla; mix until well blended, about 2 minutes. Add flour mixture; mix until combined.
Transfer 1 1/2 cups batter to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch plain tip (such as Ateco #806). Pipe 1 1/2-inch rounds onto parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing 1 inch apart. Bake cookies, rotating sheets halfway through, until tops spring back, about 12 minutes. Cool on sheets on wire racks 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire racks; let cool completely.
Make icing: Put confectioners' sugar in a large bowl; set aside. Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, swirling pan occasionally, until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Immediately add butter to confectioners' sugar, scraping any browned bits from sides and bottom of pan. Add evaporated milk and vanilla; stir until smooth. Spread about 1 teaspoon icing onto each cookie. If icing stiffens, stir in more evaporated milk, a little at a time. Cookies can be stored in single layers in airtight containers at room temperature up to 3 days.
I made them exactly as the recipe states except for cooking them as mini muffins, which I sprayed with Pam, they slid out of the pan. You have to give them a try, I never knew I liked pumpkin, until I tried these.
After getting home from work and the yard sale, we got ready for our Church Fall Festival. They served pulled pork sandwiches for only $1 they were too good! My children, their boy/girlfriend and my husband and I all went and ate, I treated, yeah I know I'm a big spender, lol.
Today has been a rainy, grocery shopping, Bengal watching kind of day, and I love it! Work tomorrow then who knows what life will have in store for me next??
LEt me know if you try the recipe, I promise you won't regret it! Have a great week, and thanks for stopping by, dont forget to say HI!

1 comment:

Robin said...

Sue, I am so glad that y'all were able to raise so much money! That is incredible!

Those pumpkin muffins sound so good! I will have to give them a try!

{{HUGS}}}

Robin :o)