Sunday, September 27, 2009

To Dye or Not To Dye?

Ok, Here is the question.... To Dye or not to Dye?? I have been coloring my hair for probably almost 20 years. I will admit it, I am 47, YIKES! My grandma was completely grey at 30, so I have been told! She had that white grey hair, you know the color. I guess I took after her, because for a time, I was greyer, then my mother. I have been giving this ALOT of thought and wonder, when is enough enough, when do you stop fighting and just give in to the inevitable? I see attractive woman walking around with grey hair and think wow they look great! I always wonder when they finally just decide to let it go, and do it's natural thing? Look at these lovely women who are grey...





And yes I know JAmie Lee Curtis is in there twice, that is because that is probably the color grey I will end up being, that salt and pepper grey, and she looks fantastic, doesnt she?
So my question to you my dear probably nongrey blogger friends, is what do you do? ARE you grey? Do you color? Have you decided to just go natural and let it all, the grey, hang out? I need advice! And it doesnt help that I have a husband who looks so young at almost 50 that people think he is our son's brother, lol! Can't wait to hear what all of you say!
Have a great week! I am sure I will, I just dyed my grey and am a beautiful shade of brown color, hey I said I hadnt decided when to let it go, and I'm a whimp, and I dont want to look like my husband's mother, so sue me! LOL Thanks so much for stopping by! Sue

10 comments:

linda said...

I too am one that has had to dye my hair for many years. I remember picking out gray hairs at 25!

I think about going all gray but probably won't do it for at least another 10-15 years. I don't think I have that pretty gray like some women have.

I'm sure my husband would be all gray too but he shaves his head. The little stubbles that come through are gray though.

tale of many cities said...

i wonder how long i'll fight it too. that $125-$150 every six weeks could definitely go to better places!! but alas, i just feel like i'm too young to give up just yet. plus, mine isn't all over yet.. just a weird patch at the front..lol so i say.. whenever you're ready to, you will!

have a great week!

mbkatc230 said...

I finally gave up several years ago, my hair grows so fast that I was going broke coloring it. I've actually gotten several compliments, it's not all gray, just streaks and they kind of blend in. It (almost) looks intentional! When you're ready, just go for it. It's been more liberating than I thought it would be! Kathy

becca said...

I've always gone a little darker, a little lighter, highlights, lowlights... something... b/c I get bored. I color now b/c I don't want to know when I go gray :) I will continue to color as long as it "looks right." I do it myself though... I wouldn't shell out the big bucks for it.
I *don't* like the long gray hair picture. She may be pretty but she'd look 20 years younger if she dyed it.. and I don't like long gray hair.

Marla said...

OMG, I have been pondering that very question these days!!! I'm a young grandma at 52, or at least I feel young, but my hair says something different. When I think of all the decorating I could do with all the money my hairdresser gets from me.....but I'm so vain and yes I admit I'm vain. Would my husband still adore me if I had gray hair? Would he still find me sexy after decades of marriage? Lots of questions, I know, but I'm afraid. Yes, afraid to look natural.

And I think Jaime Lee Curtis is beautiful.

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

I have been having a rinse put on my hair for several years. I thought I would never do that, but one day my hairdresser got to my ego - she said, "You are too young and too youthful to look old." Vanity, my dear, vanity! So I will continue as long as it does not look dyed - that's the secret. Linda

tale of many cities said...

here's the link to the potato gratin recipe! :D
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/5-minute-individual-potato-gratins-recipe/index.html

Julie said...

I'm not gray, but my SIL is, and she has decided to quit coloring her hair. She is salt and pepper and I love it. It matches her skin-tone better. She is also wearing jewelry and clothes to match and compliment her hair. She looks beautiful, I think. GO FOR IT!!! Julie

Robin said...

I've been having the same issue. I wouldn't mind being gray, if it was gray all over, but mine is just in spots....especially around my face. So, I guess I will continue to color until the rest of my head catches up!

{{HUGS}}

Robin :o)

Tammy said...

Jamie Lee Curtis is my hero! I'm 48 and letting the chips fall where they may where my hair is concerned...all the upkeep is too darn expensive. I think if you keep it well conditioned and a nice cut that it makes all of the difference...and I'm not as gray as her yet...it is actually not happening as fast as I though!
;D