Thursday, July 29, 2010

The History of Aprons



The History of Aprons

I don't think our kids know what an apron is.
The principal use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath because she only had a few. It was easier to wash aprons than dresses and they used less material, but along with that, it served as a potholder for removing hot pans from the oven.
It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears. From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.
When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids. And when the weather was cold, grandma wrapped it around her arms. Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron. Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove.
From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas had been shelled, it carried out the hulls. In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees.
When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds. When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner.
People would go crazy now trying to figure out how many germs were on that apron. But you know what? I don't think I ever caught anything from an apron.
It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that ' old-time apron' that served so many purposes.
Knowing I have been sewing my fingers off make lots of aprons, my friend Barb sent me the History of Aprons, and after reading it, I love them even more! My Question to all of you is, do you wear aprons? Or would you if they were easier to find? If you do wear them, where do you get them from? What style do you prefer? I am thinking of starting to sell these possibly at a craft fair, and wanted to do a little market research and then I thought, who better then all my blog friends to share their opinions. I am have a great time making them. Here are a few that I made, and I am just looking for honest opinions on them, thanks everyone!

Oh and thanks to my model of a daughter Nikki for allowing me to photograph her with some of my aprons!


These are a few I made for the littlest bakers

This adorable ruffled apron that I made was straight from the blog of a talented lady, Morgan Moore, at One More Moore



This little cutie was inspired by Karen at Sew Many Ways





Thanks so much for stopping by and taking a second to leave an opinion/comment!
Sue

5 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Sue, those are some cute aprons!

I wear the long aprons at Christmastime and any time I am having company over and need to protect my clothes when I'm cooking and serving. I am a messy cook!

I have a prissy white battenburg lace apron someone gave me which I like for pretty, girly things. And I like aprons with funny sayings on them for holidays, and I like aprons that have monograms (though I don't have one of those). I generally tend to buy solid colors that match my kitchen, but it might have a palm tree embroidered on the top or some sort of simple graphic design. I also like aprons that are from places like Maryland (I have one with crabs on it) or Maine (lobsters), etc. I have one made from French linen (maybe a grain sack) that I like a lot.

I hope this helps, but since I am only an occasional cook, preferring to eat out 99 per cent of the time, I might be an odd duck where aprons are concerned. But I have always loved them!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Robin said...

Well, I am sure you know how much a LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your aprons! I am proud to say I own TWO of your "originals"!

How about a sport team apron? I mean, a little houndstooth fabric with some crimson thrown in there? I would wear it! LOL

The only "necessary" thing I would say I would want in an apron is to definitely make it washable, because I am MESSY!

Love ya!

{{{HUGS}}}

Sew Many Ways... said...

Thanks so much for letting me know about this post...I love it. I especially love the history of the apron. I do wear aprons, maybe not every time I cook, but a lot. If what I'm making doesn't splatter, I wear the waist aprons. If it splatters alot, I wear the over the head full aprons.
I think your aprons will definitely sell at craft fairs. You asked for ideas so...the one problem I have with store bought aprons that go over your head is the loop that goes around your neck. I know the loop has to be big enough to go over my head, but I'm a shorty, so when I put it on, the bib of the apron hangs too low and half my shirt shows. I was thinking about changing them to 2 separate ties and then velcro them or use those half circle metal rings they use on belts to adjust the ties as needed.
Ok, sorry this was a long one. Good luck selling your aprons...you'll do great.
Take care,
~Karen~

Sassy said...

These aprons are so cute! I especially love the ruffled one. Very creative....

Always Nesting said...

Oh, my gosh how I love all those aprons!! Adorable.

My grandma always wore an apron. She was a tiny, less than 5" tall, little thing and her aprons covered every bit of her dresses. Love the piece of history about the aprons.