Friday, August 5, 2011

Worlds Longest Yard Sale-The Results

Well, I am back from our big adventure, The World’s Longest Yard Sale, and hmmm, I’m not sure what I think about it.  We started our adventure around 5:20 this morning.  My friend Kathie borrowed her husbands truck, so we would have plenty of room for ALLL of our treasures.  She packed newspaper, bungee cords, everything we would need to secure all of the treasures we found.  Well…. lets just say, she didn’t have to waste her time with all of that.  About 40 minutes into our trip, we found ourselves at a dead stop on the highway, apparently a semi had overturned literally minutes ahead of us.  We sat in the newly made parking lot, aka, I-75 N for an hour and 40 minutes.  Not the best start to a trip we had looked forward to for weeks.  Once the accident had cleared, we were once again on our way.  Our plan had been to drive up to Van Wert, Ohio and then slowly make our way down 127 back to the Cincinnati area.  Well, driving past all the yard sales on our way to Van Wert proved to be way to hard to do, we just couldn’t pass all these sales up without stopping, so… we stopped.

 wlys finds 001

At our first stop, I found a box with 5 old brass door knobs, I loved them, and picked them up for $2.00, not each, total.  At our second stop, Kathie was looking for things for her husband to use as a type of yard sale incentive at his business, we found 5 holiday decorations that were in great shape, we haggled, well, actually we asked and she accepted $15 for all five items, SCORE!!  What a great start to our day!!  For our third stop, we drove 11 miles off 127 to a Gun Club that was hosting a huge flea market.  Immediately Kathie found a really nice cage for her dog.  We went on to find a cute picnic basket$4 for a mutual friend of ours, and the coolest globe ever for my daughter in law $10.  At this stop we also found a cute white table,$6.  Kathie found a nice 2 wheel cart, almost just like mine for a few dollars and a Kirkland's 3 pack of candlesticks for a couple dollars. 

My post is getting way too long, and don’t get me wrong, we had fun, we laughed a lot, and we’re glad we went and experienced the sale, but honestly, I feel like we do much better at a little local sale called White’s Farm Flea Market.  The sale is held every Wednesday, the prices are great (we felt like prices were high on a lot of things at the WLYS) and it isn’t a lot of clothing, which we don’t look for and which the WLYS had way too much of.

All and all, would we go again, hmm, I for one would have to give that a lot of thought, but it was an experience and another item to check off my bucket list.

Thanks for stopping by,  Sue

4 comments:

kathie v said...

well, my feet are sore and my back a little weary,but after careful reflection, I'd do it again.They say you should take 10,000 steps a day, I don't know we accomplished that but we did speak 20,000 words! My tummy muscles are sore from laughing.I would plan a better stategy next time and choose a new area, but overall, it's really a fun way to see new areas,meet people,find some treasures and laugh with a friend! So, Thanks friend for a great adventure,Kathie

Anonymous said...

You have great points there, so I always check your site, it looks like you are an expert in this field. keep up the fantastic work, My friend recommends your blog.

My blog:
rachat credit personnel www.rachatdecredit.net

Alison said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I agree, I have been learning as I go which ones to be on the lookout for and a few little tips and tricks! I can't stand overpriced stuff at yard sales! I mean, it's a yard sale people!!! Ha Ha! thanks for sharing!
Alison

philben5 said...

$2.00 for a box of brass knobbs. Wow! I also love your grocery wire basket on wheels. Every third weekend in September my mom and I head out on the "Nebraska Junk Jaunt". It is so much fun to be driving along and see out in a pasture vintage goodness set up. It's our birthday gift to each other each year and we count down.
Thanks for stopping by my blog and your kind words on my headboard.
Blessings
Roxanne